Tuesday 5 March 2013

My Two Peugeot 306 Diesel and Hdi

I have owned two diesel Peugeot 306's over the past 8 years! And you can't help but love them!

The first one I owned was a 1998 1.9 diesel, non turbo, model. She was a pretty simple car with manual windows and no air con but did have power steering.

I'd never owned a 306 before and from the moment I started it and drove it, I loved it!!
It is difficult to say why I loved driving her so much but I think it had something to do with the sound of it, on tick over, that I found relaxing - especially in traffic.

She was pretty cheap and easy to maintain mainly because she was a diesel pretty much mechanical rather than electronic. That means that in the 6 years I owned her, and with nearly 140,000 miles (225,000 km) on the clock, she didn't break down once!
The only reason I sold her was because I needed a car with 5 doors rather than the 3 it had. So I opted for another 306! This time a 2001 306 2.0 Hdi! Here she is being started up from cold:


I have owned her for 2 years now, although it's mainly my wife that drives her at the moment, and haven't had any major problems so far.
When I got her I changed the timing belt and gave her a good service. The timing belt wasn't too difficult, it took a few hours to do because it is a bit fiddly and at one point my stupidity thinking I had lost a screw but in fact I hadn't!
I did need to change the crack shaft pulley, a few months back, because it was making a terrible noise - more so when revving the engine. It was a close call because when I removed the belt I found it had a 6 inch split down it! So was lucky it didn't rip completely and rap around the pulleys.

Hopefully we will get quite a few more years of work out of her, she's currently up to 104,000 miles (about 167,000 km).

No comments: